The Department of Anthropology of the Florida State University offers two (2) thesis-type programs for the Master's degree: Master of Arts (M.A.) or Master of Science (M.S.). An overall "B" average is required to remain in either of the programs.
Minimum standards for admission to the graduate program of the Department of Anthropology are:
- An upper-division cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for their junior and senior years of undergraduate work. Students must have satisfactory grades in the required undergraduate prerequisite coursework for the specialization which they wish to pursue;
- Revised Graduate Record Examination (rGRE) scores of 150 on the Quantitative Reasoning section, 150 on the Verbal Reasoning section, and a 3.5 or better on the writing section are recommended for a competitive application.
- To be competitive, applicants with degrees in disciplines other than Anthropology should have a strong undergraduate coursework foundation in archaeology, cultural anthropology, physical anthropology and the history of anthropology. Archaeology candidates are strongly encouraged to have field experience.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation from former instructors, employers, or supervisors who know the student's work. Letters from former university level instructors are preferred.
- For students whose native language is not English, an official TOEFL score of 80 is required by the University.
- A Statement of Purpose (sometimes referred to as a Statement of Intent) not to exceed 1000 words, clearly identifying and containing:
- the reasons for your interest in anthropology,
- the subdiscipline of anthropology you intend to pursue,
- your career objectives,
- your proposed thesis project.
All application documents (transcripts, GRE scores, letters of recommendation and statement of intent) are due in the department office by December 15th of the year prior to desired admission. Classes are entered in the fall of each year.
The graduate application is online @ FSU On-line Application Portal
If there are questions about requirements, program offerings, or deadlines, please contact our Academic Program Specialist, Scott McLemore at email@example.com.